Login

* Register
View unread posts

* Search 

[ 21 posts ] 

12 Sep 2013, 19:30

I've played literally thousands of hours of COD multiplayer since switching to the Tactical layout in 2008. Please let us know if this option is in Titanfall now and if not, I'm begging you to add it!

For those that don't know, this is the simple swapping abilities of the R stick (click down) and B button. So you melee with B and crouch by clicking on the R stick.

For me it's a serious issue because I play so intensely I often inadvertently click down the R stick. Prior to me switching to Tactical I would constantly knife the air when I'd engage an enemy. And as you can imagine, that never ended well.

14 Sep 2013, 00:43

Custom Layouts would be much better .

I agree with you but would also like to switch jump from A , with cloak on LB , to make it similar to Halo's Bumper Jumper which I believe would be very helpful for this game .

14 Sep 2013, 03:26

I'd prefer a custom layout where you can choose where you want what & here is a perfect example of why. In BF3, the RS is so stinking sensitive that you'll either drop shot or get stuck with your knife out if you press too hard. And I don't think I'm THAT hard on my sticks. I personally like the knife on the right stick if it will retract on it's own like in CoD, but in BF it annoys me to no end & I die with my knife out in a gun battle looking like a complete idiot lol. So when I do happen to play BF, I have to try & deal with accidental drop shotting. Or if I'm in a vehicle I'll sometimes get stuck in a view that I don't want to use. This is one of those things that I can't believe how sensitive it is because in CoD I don't knife that much by accident. Don't get me wrong, I do do it, but no where near as much as in BF. For me it's like a 20:1 ratio between the 2 games & it just boggles my mind.

So if I had any say in it, maybe put in the 2 most popular options that are used within the office & then also offer the ability to map your controller how you feel that it fits you best if you don't happen to like the 2 suggested options.

14 Sep 2013, 04:00

Not to scream PC master race here, but it baffles me that more games still don't have full control customisation on most console games. For the effort that goes into most ports (especially CoD series) I would have thought that the control menu could be used back on the console side of things. Here's to hoping whatever controls you get are comfortable and intuitive.

14 Sep 2013, 04:52

^ Yeah gotta agree. I get trying to keep it simple with a series of default control settings that you can switch between but what's wrong with having an 'advanced' option there where you can fully remap your buttons/triggers to whatever you want. In general, I wish there were more options available for games on console.

14 Sep 2013, 06:52

Almost like not having Diablo 3s elective mode disabled >.<

30 Dec 2013, 14:24

Bumping this only because I saw a developer respond on another button layout post. Hoping to get some confirmation on this.

30 Dec 2013, 15:20

I think all gamers agree that options are best. why devs don't put costimized button mapping in all games is beyond me. espcially titanfall where bumper jumper would be ideal

30 Dec 2013, 18:29

There is a layout with melee and crouch swapped, as well as a variant that allows for jumping on a bumper. (my personal favorite, as it allows you to use the "look" stick while jumping)

More than one controller layout confirmed!

30 Dec 2013, 20:51

Being able to custom map your own controls would be pretty sweet =)

31 Dec 2013, 07:50

scriptacus wrote:
There is a layout with melee and crouch swapped, as well as a variant that allows for jumping on a bumper. (my personal favorite, as it allows you to use the "look" stick while jumping)

Yes! Thank you!

02 Jan 2014, 02:10

Bassani wrote:
Being able to custom map your own controls would be pretty sweet =)

Yes, it's annoying if there's a way to exploit this with a controller but I think that could be easily avoided.

Normally I like to use presets, but it's annoying when a sequel drops one of the controller presets from a previous game (e.g. in BF4, where the most similar layout to BF3 for vehicles has "fire" on the left bumper). This is where being able to tweak things would be nice.

I think the best option would be to have both presets as well as custom mappings. To make things simpler, you could limit the custom mapping options. Like, being able to swap any of the d-pad or face buttons around. Basically any of the digital inputs being swappable with other digital inputs shouldn't be too much trouble, surely?

02 Jan 2014, 05:16

I personally can't see why it'd be an issue to allow for fully custom control mappings on any platform, however with that said, I'm not a dev so I don't know what it takes for that to be implemented.

My own personal thought on having the ability to do it though is that you could have a list on the side with check boxes that light up when you've assigned a certain action so that people (mainly newbies) don't get lost in what actions are left to be assigned.

02 Jan 2014, 05:21

I'm 100% behind Bass on this I've talked about it before as well the benefits of having this option are extraordinarily large while I can see literally zero problems with it

I can't see how being able to map a controller as being difficult at all when I've used third party apps and tools to do exactly just that on PC for years.

Nothing wrong with presets of course but a fully customisable option should be available as well. Disabled gamers would benefit from this greatly as the obvious example

02 Jan 2014, 05:32

Myth700 wrote:
Disabled gamers would benefit from this greatly as the obvious example

That right there is a PERFECT reason to add it in if nothing else. There was one guy that I remember that played CoD4 with his mouth because of a disability. If he's still around & playing I bet he'd love the ability of custom mapping on a controller.

02 Jan 2014, 20:00

Bassani wrote:
I personally can't see why it'd be an issue to allow for fully custom control mappings on any platform, however with that said, I'm not a dev so I don't know what it takes for that to be implemented.

I can think of minor issues, although they wouldn't be too hard to deal with I don't think.

For example, what should happen if you assign the vertical look axis to a trigger? Obviously that's a pretty stupid* thing to do, but how should it behave? Should you have to balance the trigger in its center to keep the view stationary? Should there be a deadzone to make that easier? Should the deadzones be adjustable as well?

The easy solution is obviously to only allow remapping of certain things, like setting the digital (face buttons, d-pad, bumpers, stick-presses) inputs to any combination you like, while only allowing a limited set of options for the analog inputs (like the sticks and triggers).

It all depends on how deep you want the customization to be, and although I'm probably just overcomplicating things, it does need to be clear what level of custom layout options we're talking about. If the previous paragraph is all that you guys meant anyway, then you can pretty much ignore everything I've said. But in the case that you were talking about finer levels of control, like that trigger/stick example, then I can see why devs don't bother trying to handle the various cases and instead only offer preset combinations.

* Although for the example of a handicapped player that might actually be something they want to do I suppose.

03 Jan 2014, 00:22

If people want to remap the sticks to pushing up to knife for example I think they should be able to... although it would completely rebind their ability to look up and therefor break their game. I'm totally ok with people being silly and breaking their own game

03 Jan 2014, 18:03

scriptacus wrote:

I feel like the bumper jumping is almost a necessity given the nature of double jumping & wall running. So, hooray! lol

04 Jan 2014, 22:37

scriptacus wrote:

Sweet

14 Jan 2014, 05:34

+1 for disabled gamers.

It's a really simple principle, some people aren't physically capable of reaching every button on a controller.

Often it is the triggers, and often commands set to pressing the thumbsticks in, as those require alot more strength than using other buttons.

However it varies from person to person. The n0m4d preset was developed for a single disabled gamer, but it is specific to him, there is no preset that works for everyone. The solution is to allow full remapping.

Full remapping allows gamers with disabilities to position the important commands in locations that are accessible to them. Take this guy for example, he had a stroke as a teenager so cannot use his right hand, but had zero intention of giving up gaming so plays one-handed, jamming the pad against his arm. This allows him to play perfectly efficiently, but the number of buttons he can reach simultaneously is reduced. All he needs is to be able to move the important onces to places that he can actually reach:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bvAKfRU8mok/TpCUf_d-cHI/AAAAAAAABXA/I-Gx5lJSgXY/s1600/Patrick%2BCampbell%2Bstroke%2Bvideo%2Bgames.jpg

It is absolutely possible to implement full remapping on console games, just take Borderlands 2, Counterstrike:GO, or Streefighter 4 as a few examples.

Not everyone wants to fully customise controls, it's a bit of a faff to do, so plenty prefer presets to remapping. There's a blindly simple solution though - offer both, a set of presets and the option to customise more thoroughly.

Option 1 - preset 1
Option 2 - preset 2
Option 3 - preset 3
Option 4 - custom

The comments in this thread are a perfect example of the benefits for core gamers, so between that and the complete 100% reliance that many disabled gamers have on remapping to be able to play, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

More info: http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/allow-controls-to-be-remapped-reconfigured

14 Jan 2014, 11:37

ianhamilton wrote:
+1 for disabled gamers.

It's a really simple principle, some people aren't physically capable of reaching every button on a controller.

Often it is the triggers, and often commands set to pressing the thumbsticks in, as those require alot more strength than using other buttons.

However it varies from person to person. The n0m4d preset was developed for a single disabled gamer, but it is specific to him, there is no preset that works for everyone. The solution is to allow full remapping.

Full remapping allows gamers with disabilities to position the important commands in locations that are accessible to them. Take this guy for example, he had a stroke as a teenager so cannot use his right hand, but had zero intention of giving up gaming so plays one-handed, jamming the pad against his arm. This allows him to play perfectly efficiently, but the number of buttons he can reach simultaneously is reduced. All he needs is to be able to move the important onces to places that he can actually reach:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bvAKfRU8mok/TpCUf_d-cHI/AAAAAAAABXA/I-Gx5lJSgXY/s1600/Patrick%2BCampbell%2Bstroke%2Bvideo%2Bgames.jpg

It is absolutely possible to implement full remapping on console games, just take Borderlands 2, Counterstrike:GO, or Streefighter 4 as a few examples.

Not everyone wants to fully customise controls, it's a bit of a faff to do, so plenty prefer presets to remapping. There's a blindly simple solution though - offer both, a set of presets and the option to customise more thoroughly.

Option 1 - preset 1
Option 2 - preset 2
Option 3 - preset 3
Option 4 - custom

The comments in this thread are a perfect example of the benefits for core gamers, so between that and the complete 100% reliance that many disabled gamers have on remapping to be able to play, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

More info: http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/allow-controls-to-be-remapped-reconfigured
Absolutely agree. It's 2014. This stuff should be a given by now.

I desperately need Southpaw stick configuration. I would have preordered TF and an X1 by now if I knew it had southpaw control stick options. If it doesn't allow you to swap the sticks I'm not buying it. I'm sick of being disappointed by the most simple of things that should be a given. It's sad and ridiculous.

If any developer can confirm alternate stick layouts, please, please, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

* Search 

Search for:
Jump to: