Login

* Register
View unread posts

* Search 

[ 16 posts ] 

22 Jan 2014, 05:01

How will title updates be handled with Titanfall? Will the technology of the cloud allow for better functionality of delivering title updates to the game? Traditionally title updates had to be downloaded has a physical download, but I've heard that the Xbox Live Cloud will allow for better update functionality and less wait time in between title updates, is this true?

Also, what other ways is Titanfall utilizing the cloud service?

22 Jan 2014, 09:02

TTUVAPOR wrote:
How will title updates be handled with Titanfall? Will the technology of the cloud allow for better functionality of delivering title updates to the game? Traditionally title updates had to be downloaded has a physical download, but I've heard that the Xbox Live Cloud will allow for better update functionality and less wait time in between title updates, is this true?

I would read this for info on how Titanfall uses the cloud, but this won't eliminate game updates and patches. I'm sure there are server side hot fixes, but you'll still have to download and apply local updates.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-a ... ive-cloud/

23 Jan 2014, 12:17

WickerMan wrote:
TTUVAPOR wrote:

I would read this for info on how Titanfall uses the cloud, but this won't eliminate game updates and patches. I'm sure there are server side hot fixes, but you'll still have to download and apply local updates.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-a ... ive-cloud/

I read that, it mostly talks about Azure and dedicated servers and doesn't talk about title updating or perhaps updating the AI via the cloud.

It mentions Forza 5 using the dedicated servers to run the drivatar AI, but it doesn't talk about how Respawn will handle AI through the cloud if they do.

28 Jan 2014, 05:23

TTUVAPOR wrote:

I believe what you're asking about is how Microsoft handles updates from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox1. For the 360, Microsoft requires a certification process, wherein a patch is submitted to Microsoft for review before release onto XBL. I don't know the exactly number, but I think it's something like $40,000 that Microsoft charges for this process. Because of that, it's in a developer's best interests (financially) to release a few, larger updates, to avoid additional costs from multiple certification process.

With the Xbox1, Microsoft has done away with this certification process, which allows developers to offer smaller updates/patches more frequently, as they won't have to worry about additional costs for each update they try to push to live.

Does that answer your question?

28 Jan 2014, 10:12

Falcon5783 wrote:
TTUVAPOR wrote:

I believe what you're asking about is how Microsoft handles updates from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox1. For the 360, Microsoft requires a certification process, wherein a patch is submitted to Microsoft for review before release onto XBL. I don't know the exactly number, but I think it's something like $40,000 that Microsoft charges for this process. Because of that, it's in a developer's best interests (financially) to release a few, larger updates, to avoid additional costs from multiple certification process.

With the Xbox1, Microsoft has done away with this certification process, which allows developers to offer smaller updates/patches more frequently, as they won't have to worry about additional costs for each update they try to push to live.

Does that answer your question?

Do you have any sources to show that information? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to read the actual source.

28 Jan 2014, 13:05

During our small Closed Alpha, we rolled out 3 new server builds and completely moved players from one build to the next without interrupting gameplay. Players never noticed a difference (other than some bugs went away).

We will definitely be rolling out new server builds to fix issues that we find. Not every issue can be patched entirely on the server, and so some fixes will require a client patch. But new server builds are definitely something we will be doing.

28 Jan 2014, 13:08

slothy wrote:
During our small Closed Alpha, we rolled out 3 new server builds and completely moved players from one build to the next without interrupting gameplay. Players never noticed a difference (other than some bugs went away).

We will definitely be rolling out new server builds to fix issues that we find. Not every issue can be patched entirely on the server, and so some fixes will require a client patch. But new server builds are definitely something we will be doing.

Slothy, that's AWESOME!! Is that due to the Azure network or how Titanfall is coded, or both? Seamless updates are amazeballs!

28 Jan 2014, 13:21

Falcon5783 wrote:
Slothy, that's AWESOME!! Is that due to the Azure network or how Titanfall is coded, or both? Seamless updates are amazeballs!

Seamless updates are due to the stuff we've written. The fact that we can somewhat-easily deploy new builds on Azure is due to the Xbox Live Compute team's hard work. This is an area that we've been working on with them for some time now. We originally told them that no-cert, fast server updates were a requirement for us, and they made that happen.

28 Jan 2014, 13:23

Falcon5783 wrote:

Pretty sure a game needs to be coded to allow server side patches. Special to Azure? No. Plenty of games that take the online component seriously have the ability to be hotfix'ed. Borderlands 2, Black ops, Warframe, etc all have this and non of them are even on dedicated servers.

28 Jan 2014, 17:39

slothy wrote:
Falcon5783 wrote:

Seamless updates are due to the stuff we've written. The fact that we can somewhat-easily deploy new builds on Azure is due to the Xbox Live Compute team's hard work. This is an area that we've been working on with them for some time now. We originally told them that no-cert, fast server updates were a requirement for us, and they made that happen.

That's a fantastic requirement! It's obnoxious to have updates long overdue because of things like cert process. If a game has a game breaking mechanic/bug, a delayed fix is crap.

29 Jan 2014, 08:11

slothy wrote:

That is AWESOME news!! Thanks for the explanation, I always love learning about the behind the scenes work that goes on to maintain games in regards to title updates, hotfixes, etc.

29 Jan 2014, 08:29

I was wondering about the momentary pauses I noticed during alpha footage " I didnt see". I just assumed it was because it was an Alpha. To switch players from server to server, in the middle of a highspeed game, seamlessly without them noticing is remarkable. To be able to patch or update a product that fast should allay most fears about downtime.

29 Jan 2014, 09:13

Titanfall to have seamless server updates with minimal to zero player interruption.

Full Story:
http://unionvgf.com/index.php?threads/t ... tion.2840/

29 Jan 2014, 09:17

*Removed by user*

29 Jan 2014, 09:17

slothy wrote:
Falcon5783 wrote:

Can you guys adjust game balance from the server side as well? Example: Weapon balance tweaks, nerf/buff, etc?

29 Jan 2014, 21:57

LordPuck wrote:
I was wondering about the momentary pauses I noticed during alpha footage " I didnt see". I just assumed it was because it was an Alpha. To switch players from server to server, in the middle of a highspeed game, seamlessly without them noticing is remarkable. To be able to patch or update a product that fast should allay most fears about downtime.

I don't think they were switching players from server to server, I think slothy is talking about the version of the game the players were seeing. It'd (loosely) be the equivalent of updating windows 8 to 8.1 without ever seeing any windows or notifications pop up. Still impressive and awesome, nonetheless!

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

* Search 

Search for:
Jump to: