Login

* Register
View unread posts

* Search 

[ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

15 Jul 2013, 00:06

Subject heading spells what I'd like confirmed.

Yes Respawn have said it'll use the X1's cloud to act as dedicated servers.

Problem is, MS themselves have said that the Azure will not be used for gaming in Australia (we have 1 in Melbourne and another in Sydney) - this in reality could kill the game in Australia before its even released. Which will upset me and my gaming group (PM me for details) a LOT.

Please confirm and keep us Australian's and Kiwi's happy :D

15 Jul 2013, 00:14

I'd like to think there'd at least be one in Sydney (I'm in WA here, for the record) as anywhere in AUS is fine for low ping. It would also depend on if EA is handling the distribution and the servers for which to release the product, seeing as the game should connect and authenticate through Origin (Still not happy bout that).

Hopefully we'll get something closer to release. Before it ships at least.

15 Jul 2013, 00:46

It's a good question, and I know that it's something every AUS/NZ player will want to know. Just here to voice my support for this as well.

Ideally Microsoft would simply have answered this already, but the best I could find was this: http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3318 ... r-xbox-one

In that article he doesn't really address the concern directly. And with Microsoft's crap communication about the Xbox One so far I don't really expect them to come out with any good news themselves. So hopefully Respawn are allowed to tell us what they know instead.

15 Jul 2013, 01:01

KiwiMan wrote:
It's a good question, and I know that it's something every AUS/NZ player will want to know. Just here to voice my support for this as well.

Ideally Microsoft would simply have answered this already, but the best I could find was this: http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3318 ... r-xbox-one

In that article he doesn't really address the concern directly. And with Microsoft's crap communication about the Xbox One so far I don't really expect them to come out with any good news themselves. So hopefully Respawn are allowed to tell us what they know instead.

I believe the sticking point is the actual inception date for the Azure cloud expansion into Australia. It is slated for the end of the year, beginning of 2014. But no firm date has been given yet because of "logistical problems" (whatever that means. Maybe there is a hold up in local government?). MS has covered its back and said a sweeping "by the end of 2014". I would imagine that MS will do it as soon as is physically possible.

As for whether or not the Azure data centre in Australia will be used for the One cloud computing, I think that is a given. MS have said they intend to have 300,000 servers online by the time the One launches. That surely must include Australasia. Also, cloud computing for the One would not be "ubiquitous" (MS's words) if it did not include that region as well.

15 Jul 2013, 01:05

SOULWOUND wrote:

Problem is, MS themselves have said that the Azure will not be used for gaming in Australia (we have 1 in Melbourne and another in Sydney) - this in reality could kill the game in Australia before its even released. Which will upset me and my gaming group (PM me for details) a LOT.

I think strictly speaking, this is a question for Microsoft on one of their XBOX boards. Only they know the real answer.

15 Jul 2013, 01:17

Dante wrote:
SOULWOUND wrote:

I think strictly speaking, this is a question for Microsoft on one of their XBOX boards. Only they know the real answer.

Yeah but Respawn would also know and if they were keen to keep they're downunder Titanfaller's happy, then I'm sure they could put a strong foot forward with MS :D

Oh and in case any of you guys are hunting for a decent Aussie/Kiwi xbox community, feel free to stop off at our website (PM me for details).

Afterall us Titanfaller's from downunder gotta stick together. Best way to own :D

Last edited by SOULWOUND on 15 Jul 2013, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

15 Jul 2013, 10:13

Native Australian servers is something we've been talking to Microsoft about since they first came to us with the Azure servers idea.

It's not appropriate for us to talk about what MS is going to do - but just know that we do care about this issue and we're working with Microsoft. At some point in the future they will talk more about datacenter locations for the console launch and beyond.

15 Jul 2013, 14:43

Thanks, that's good to hear.

15 Jul 2013, 16:45

Yes this is extremely good newz!! :-D

16 Jul 2013, 01:34

I work for a Government agency and we currently have a project to move all of our email processing systems to 'the cloud'.

Once migrated out, our email will be located in Singapore and Hong Kong. So, it's not looking good for a decent connection to play Titanfall in Australia.

You have to live in the northern (and apparently only) hemisphere of this planet to get any joy with regards to adequate infrastructure. The player base for xbox gamers in Australia just doesn't warrant the investment. Once the publisher has your money (plus a significant markup for Aussies), You'll be left behind for a more lucrative market.

Your only real chance of a good connection will be in 3 - 5 years once the NBN rollout is significant enough to make a difference.

:(

16 Jul 2013, 03:01

moebiouz wrote:
I work for a Government agency and we currently have a project to move all of our email processing systems to 'the cloud'.

Once migrated out, our email will be located in Singapore and Hong Kong. So, it's not looking good for a decent connection to play Titanfall in Australia.

You have to live in the northern (and apparently only) hemisphere of this planet to get any joy with regards to adequate infrastructure. The player base for xbox gamers in Australia just doesn't warrant the investment. Once the publisher has your money (plus a significant markup for Aussies), You'll be left behind for a more lucrative market.

Your only real chance of a good connection will be in 3 - 5 years once the NBN rollout is significant enough to make a difference.

Stuff and nonsense. Microsoft themselves have said cloud services for Azure in Australia will be in place by the end of 2014 at the very latest. Not 3 to 5 years down the line. And it will be sooner if they can get the "logistical problems" involved ironed out.

16 Jul 2013, 04:35

Well, there's no need to be rude. I simply stated a fact - whereas, you stated hear-say. You might also need to re-read my post. I didn't say 3-5 years for Azure servers. I said 3-5 years for NBN.

Why would a Government dept. move processing off-shore if the facilities exist here?

Facts please?

16 Jul 2013, 04:50

moebiouz wrote:
Well, there's no need to be rude. I simply stated a fact - whereas, you stated hear-say. You might also need to re-read my post. I didn't say 3-5 years for Azure servers. I said 3-5 years for NBN.

Why would a Government dept. move processing off-shore if the facilities exist here?

Facts please?

Yes, facts please. Please demonstrate that the "cloud" you talk about is Microsoft's; that it isn't some other cloud.

Please also demonstrate that they are moving to your stated locations only because there are not going to be data centres in Australia itself. That means, that there can be absolutely no other reason (eg that it isn't because running costs are cheaper elsewhere) other than they are the only locations available.

I want to see documentation to support your contentions. I want facts, just as you called for.

BTW - I was not rude. Being dismissive (as I was) is not being rude.

16 Jul 2013, 05:03

moebiouz wrote:

Hi moebiouz, I think you're confused on a number of issues. Firstly, the Australian government is highly, highly unlikely to be using the same cloud infrastructure to store emails as Respawn and Microsoft will be using to power Titanfall. The 'cloud' that your government department uses is likely more of a storage and less of a processing cloud. A number of businesses and government departments these days have such cloud storage facilities. Microsoft's Azure cloud, on the other hand, is a massive network of hundreds of thousands of servers. The idea behind it is that it will cover the majority of the world and allow gamers to connect to a server locally and play with other people from their area. In addition to this, Microsoft's server network will be doing some processing for the game itself.

As for the NBN, that actually has very little to do (directly) with this issue. The NBN doesn't provide server infrastructure to run games but will potentially increase the speed of connections to servers. The NBN improves the pipes, so to speak, but you still have to have a server available at the other end of the pipe (preferably locally, to get the best speed to it).

This article, written by Respawn's Jon Shiring, explains the use and relevance of the Microsoft cloud a lot better than I have.

17 Jul 2013, 02:43

Turambar wrote:
moebiouz wrote:

Hi moebiouz, I think you're confused on a number of issues. Firstly, the Australian government is highly, highly unlikely to be using the same cloud infrastructure to store emails as Respawn and Microsoft will be using to power Titanfall. The 'cloud' that your government department uses is likely more of a storage and less of a processing cloud. A number of businesses and government departments these days have such cloud storage facilities. Microsoft's Azure cloud, on the other hand, is a massive network of hundreds of thousands of servers. The idea behind it is that it will cover the majority of the world and allow gamers to connect to a server locally and play with other people from their area. In addition to this, Microsoft's server network will be doing some processing for the game itself.

As for the NBN, that actually has very little to do (directly) with this issue. The NBN doesn't provide server infrastructure to run games but will potentially increase the speed of connections to servers. The NBN improves the pipes, so to speak, but you still have to have a server available at the other end of the pipe (preferably locally, to get the best speed to it).

This article, written by Respawn's Jon Shiring, explains the use and relevance of the Microsoft cloud a lot better than I have.

So, you are providing dedicated servers then?

Great! - tell me where they are and how many please? Would love to hear all about them.

Oh, and if you need to run me down on an open forum, I'd probably appreciate a Private Message rather than the way you've worded your reply. You're probably not in the best position to advise what the Australian Government is or isn't likely to do, don't you agree? The NBN will allow organisations to able to host their servers in a remote, secure location without sacrificing performance.. I feel that it would indeed assist with this issue. But, as you say, you intend to provide dedicated LOCAL servers, you are right, it has little to do with it.

Thanks so much!

17 Jul 2013, 03:11

moebiouz wrote:
Turambar wrote:
moebiouz wrote:

So, you are providing dedicated servers then?

Great! - tell me where they are and how many please? Would love to hear all about them.

Oh, and if you need to run me down on an open forum, I'd probably appreciate a Private Message rather than the way you've worded your reply. You're probably not in the best position to advise what the Australian Government is or isn't likely to do, don't you agree? The NBN will allow organisations to able to host their servers in a remote, secure location without sacrificing performance.. I feel that it would indeed assist with this issue. But, as you say, you intend to provide dedicated LOCAL servers, you are right, it has little to do with it.

Thanks so much!

There is no running down being done ... he is simply correcting where it seems you have misunderstood and now you are being defensive about it instead of trying to understand

He is helping you believe it or not by explaining what is actually happening and how it will be different from what the Government will be using.

17 Jul 2013, 03:21

Yes, you are right. I was being defensive, and I apologise to all concerned.

However, having said that, I feel that my opinions and viewpoints are also quite valid and I feel I should be able to express them without the feeling of being dismissed.

I wouldn't have spoken up had I not been intimately involved with the cloud processing migration projects, and meeting with Microsoft. It is indeed the Azure services we are availing ourselves upon. I should feel that I have been dismissed or pushed aside. I may not be the smartest penny in the roll, but I do know quite a bit in certain fields.

I'm sorry, I've heard too many times this type of spin that gets folks hope up, only to be disappointed. We pay a great deal more for games, internet connections etc. in this country than others, only to end up with less.

So once again, I'd really like to be enlightened beyond the point of a "we have great things planned" communique.

Thanks all

27 Jan 2014, 19:32

HI Guys,
I have searched for this information; though have been unable to find it.
Will Titanfall have dedicated servers located in Australia?
I have found info relating to dedicated servers existing, just not to Aus. specifically.
This will be a definite buy or definite not buy depending on this.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by phorkz on 29 Jan 2014, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

27 Jan 2014, 19:49

im 99% sure they will have servers in australia.

they wouldnt make us try and play with a 250 ping, otherwise noone would bother buying it

27 Jan 2014, 19:50

Titanfall will use dedicated servers hosted by microsoft cloud Azure..

Some datacenters have servers grouped inside containers - each containing 1800-2500 servers.
The locations of the data centers are:

North America:
North-central US - Chicago, IL
South-central US - San Antonio, TX
West US - California
East US - Virginia

Asia:
East Asia - Hong Kong, China
South East Asia - Singapore

Europe:
West Europe - Dublin, Ireland
North Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oceania (announced, coming soon)
Sydney, New South Wales (announced, coming soon)
Melbourne, Victoria (announced, coming soon)
The CDN nodes are located in 24 countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Azure

27 Jan 2014, 20:17

Soon...

27 Jan 2014, 20:20

IAMB3NG4LT1G3R wrote:
Titanfall will use dedicated servers hosted by microsoft cloud Azure..

Some datacenters have servers grouped inside containers - each containing 1800-2500 servers.
The locations of the data centers are:

North America:
North-central US - Chicago, IL
South-central US - San Antonio, TX
West US - California
East US - Virginia

Asia:
East Asia - Hong Kong, China
South East Asia - Singapore

Europe:
West Europe - Dublin, Ireland
North Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oceania (announced, coming soon)
Sydney, New South Wales (announced, coming soon)
Melbourne, Victoria (announced, coming soon)
The CDN nodes are located in 24 countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Azure

thankyou for that, though the "coming soon" has me worried, who knows when they will be completed?

27 Jan 2014, 20:21

i bet before march 11 haha

27 Jan 2014, 20:46

went through all the sites associated with Azure, cannot locate any relevant/recent info on the Aus situation/eta

28 Jan 2014, 01:45

Started a thread on this a few days ago and received a private message (thanks) that indicated there are no servers in Australia at this stage. The game won't be worth playing without them so I sincerely hope this changes before release. I've cancelled my pre-order for the time being and will only buy TF if and when local servers are confirmed. Not having servers in Australia also brings into question the viability of even owning an Xbox One in this country. Microsoft made a big deal about this but if the servers are off shore then even peer to peer would offer a better experience. Now that a beta has been announced we'll get to see for ourselves how it plays in this country. Fingers crossed.

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

* Search 

Search for:
Jump to: